This website uses anonymous cookies to optimize your user experience and for the analysis of our website. These cookies are required and cannot be turned off. When playing YouTube videos, cookies from third parties will be placed. These can be turned off.
SolarDew - providing 1 million people with clean drinking water by 2030Alexander van der Kleij, CEO
In 2030, 4.0bn people will be affected by water scarcity. Our water sources will become increasingly saline, brackish, higher mineral content and chemical contamination. SolarDew has developed an innovative solution that produces high quality drinking water from a saline, brackish or contaminated water sources using only the energy from the sun.
Safe drinking water is essential for healthy and productive lives. Despite considerable effort over the past 50 years, the goal of universal acces to clean drinking water has proven to be elusive. Today almost 900 million people still live without reliable sources of clean water.
With population growth, urbanisation and climate change, for many the only available water is polluted, saline - or both. We need a simple, inexpensive means of creating safe drinking water from these sources.
Clean water systems from SolarDew are simple to install, easy to maintain and affordable for families, households, or small communities. SolarDew creates opportunities for local entrepreneurs to develop and run businesses in their regions providing water desalination and purification systems.
There will not be enough drinking water for us all...
Water scarcity currently affects 700 million people and many lack access to drinking water. By 2030 4 billion people will be affected! People in rural communities from Latin America to South East Asia are left behind due to a lack of cost-effective small-scale drinking water solutions, especially in areas where their traditional sources have become saline or too contaminated (ex. arsenic, fluoride, heavy metals, etc) to drink. They are searching for a fresh water source, almost on a daily basis, or buying water, which sometimes has to be transported over large distances, or resort to bottled water. This is expensive, time consuming and unsustainable.
As a result people’s health suffer, whether it is frequent diarrhea or the build up of arsenic in their bodies. At the same time children, and especially young girls, cannot attend school, whilst their parents cannot spend enough time working because they have to fetch water. People need a solution that is simple, affordable, and robust.
SolarDew offers the only effective point of use desalination solution for those in urgent need of clean water.
People need a product that is simple, affordable, robust and easy to use. Based on these requirements, SolarDew developed a novel solar desalination technology that produces clean drinking water from seawater in a single step. SolarDew’s technology is uniquely suited to off grid applications because:
1. High quality drinking water from biologically, chemically contaminated, brackish or saline sources.
2. Low Water Price especially at the household level - less than US$0.02 per liter (OPEX + CAPEX)
3. Sustainable and independent – solar power is extremely suitable for off grid communities
4. Simple, reliable and robust – contains no electrical or mechanical parts
5. Low maintenance - thanks to a proprietary membrane with high fouling resistance.
SolarDew’s products provide people with a permanent source of drinking water. Allowing them to directly purify their local ground water thus becoming more independent and healthier, whilst saving time and money.
Why is SolarDew Unique?
• High scalability due to mass production technologies
• Proprietary membrane costs 90% less compared to other membranes
• Low maintenance due to the membrane’s high fouling resistance
• High operational reliability due to the simplicity of integrating the solar and water purification functions
• SolarDew has developed a proprietary supply bringing together separate technologies, manufacturing processes and industries
Creating lasting impact
SolarDew’s mission is to provide more than 1 million people in front line communities with clean drinking water by 2030!
SolarDew will provide simple, robust and affordable solutions for our customers and stimulate local entrepreneurship to create sustainable businesses. This will create long lasting impact and address this rapidly growing problem:
• Reduce the impact of waterborne diseases and live healthier lives (SDG6)
• Decrease household expenditure (SDG1)
• Significantly reduce time fetching water for children and women (SDG4 & SDG5)
• Reduce CO2 emissions and plastic waste (SDG7 & SDG12)